Monday, April 28, 2014

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare (Review)


Series: Infernal Devices #2
Genre: Fantasy
Book Length: 502 pages
Publication Date: December 6th, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Margaret K. McElderry
Format: Hardcover

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Synopsis:
In magical Victorian London, orphan Tessa found safety with the Shadowhunters, until traitors betray her to the Magister. He wants to marry her, but so do self-destructive Will and fiercely devoted Jem. Mage Magnus Bane returns to help them. Secrets to her parentage lie with the mist-shrouded Yorkshire Institute’s aged manager Alyosius Starkweather.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The blank spaces contain spoilers that can only be read by highlighting them with your mouse.
Oh my god. That was just…I loved this soooooo much better than Clockwork Angel. This book has basically cemented my love for the Infernal Devices trilogy now. The pacing of the book, the characters, the relationships-just everything was perfect in this book that my emotions are still in a hurricane.
I’m going to start with the characters because while my opinion on most of them hasn’t changed, I did fall in love with one character and you probably know who it is if you have read it. If you have guessed William Herondale, than you are correct. Like I mentioned in my Clockwork Angel review, I said that Will was one of my least favorite characters because he was just so mean and rude to Tessa, but I knew I was going to like him later on in the series. Well, it happened. I understood why Will was acting the way he did and when he found out the truth about it, I felt like crying (and since I’m not a book crier that’s saying a LOT).  And later at the end with him and Tessa, my heart broken into a billion pieces and I was mentally crying all of my emotions. If you read this book than you know why.
The other characters/new ones, were pretty much the same or I didn’t like them a whole lot. My opinions on the Institute family were relatively the same as in the previous book. There were two new members added after the events from the previous book, and even though I didn’t care too much about him, I liked Cyril, and Bridget…was interesting with her singing to say the least. The werewolf characters I didn’t care much for, I also didn’t care for Aloysius Starkweather, but when he showed Jem, Will, and Tessa his collection of spoils, I hated him so much. I did feel a little bad for Jessamine, and thinking about it now I think that I like her a little now (Cassandra Clare are you trying to destroy my feelings cause I know what happens to Jessie). Gabriel and Benedict Lightwood were both annoying and I hated them, Gideon was so nice and I love him, and Nate…well I hated him.
The plot and pacing of this book flows perfectly that there weren’t any moments where I was bored. This book takes what Clockwork Angel started and built it up and made me feel feelings (especially near the end). I have heard a couple give up on the first book in this series because Clockwork Angel was so boring. And while I agree with that, the sequel is a billion times better. So if you have a friend who read Clockwork Angel and gave up on series cause they didn’t like it, force them to read Clockwork Prince and you can tell them you told them so once they finish it and beg you for Clockwork Princess.
Now, let’s talk about the character development and the relationships. Oh dear lord, this factor nearly killed me while I was reading it. There were a lot of moments (I should use a sticky note or write down all the moments I feel like all of my emotions are killing me while I read Clockwork Princess), that my emotions were killing me cause of what was going on. Over the course of the book, it got worse and worse. And then what happened between Will, Jem, and Tessa. I actually knew what would happen, but I still felt like I could nearly cry (again, that’s a good thing when a book can do that to me!). God, I know Clockwork Princess will break my heart.
I gave Clockwork Prince a full 5/5 stars in the end. Everything was a million times better than Clockwork Angel, from the plot’s pace, to the character development and relationships. I will be immediately be picking up Clockwork Princess, and I can guarantee you I will cry at least once or, since I’m not a book crier, feel the same way I did at the end of Allegiant.

No comments:

Post a Comment