Saturday, May 3, 2014

Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi (Review)




 Series: Shatter Me #1.5
Genre:Dystopian
Book Length: 109 pages
Publication Date: October 2nd, 2012
Publisher: Harper
Format: ebook~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Synopsis:

 Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The blank spaces contain spoilers that can only be read by highlighting them with your mouse.
I recently have felt the desire to read this novella. I have been watching at a couple of Shatter Me videos, and I know that in order to understand Warner, you have to read this novella. So I bought it on iTunes earlier today, 5/3/14, and I finished it this evening. And I loved it so much.

My favorite part of this was definitely seeing from Warner's POV. I think like everyone else before reading this was on Team Adam, but this must have converted like 95% of the readers to Team Warner, including myself. If you have read Shatter Me and you hate Warner with a burning passion, I beg of you to read this novella. With most novellas, you can usually skip them, but like many other people, I feel like this is necessary for you to read before Unravel Me. Anyway, with the novella, you get to understand why Warner did the things that he did in Shatter Me and why he loves Juliette (god my emotions are 200% Team Warner right now and that's not a lie). If you remember from Shatter Me, Warner said that he and Juliette are not that different, and once you read this you will know that it is true. Both of them getting tortured by at least one of their parents, being forced to do something they don't really want to do, people fearing them, just so many similarities.

Aside from me gushing about Warner's POV, this was perfectly paced. You get to see Warner struggle through this emotions, and what he goes through/has to go through. The writing was also fantablous and it made me roll and run through this novella. Like I said, I brought this earlier today, when I am writing this, and I finished it the same day. Congrats Tahereh Mafi, you made me buy and finish a novella in the same day.

I also just kind of enjoyed getting back in this world. I know it's weird saying that since the world is bleak, but it was nice visiting it again after I read Shatter Me back in December of last year.

I gave this novella 4.5/5 stars in the end. I loved this so much, from seeing from Warner's POV to the writing, to finishing this in literally one day, this novella might have cemented my love for the Shatter Me series since I loved this novella so much. Again, if you do not like Warner at all or you just like the Shatter Me series in general, you need to read this novella as soon as possible since I feel like it is necessary to read before Unravel Me.



No comments:

Post a Comment