Thursday, July 24, 2014

The One by Kiera Cass (Review)


  Series: Selection Series #3
Genre: Dystopian
Book Length: 323 pages
Publication Date: May 6th, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardcover



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Synopsis:
The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of Illéa, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen—and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice . . . and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants.

Find out who America will choose in The One, the enchanting, beautifully romantic third book in the Selection series!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
 The blank spaces contain spoilers that can only be read by highlighting them with your mouse.  
Wow, it honestly feels so weird that I have finished this series. In all honesty, this is so far the fastest series that I have started and finish (the main series, I still have the novellas that go in-between to read). But, I am glad I have read it. After I write this, I will be writing a whole series review discussing the series as a whole, but while it's still fresh in my mind, I will write my review for this book.

I have to say that I loved this book, it is my personal favorite in the series. It was a very satisfying conclusion to the series. I will be honest, the ending was very surprising and shocking and I actually had to put the book down for a little bit because of the beginning of it. But I loved how it all ended and wrapped up. It was a bittersweet end, because of some deaths that happened; some I didn't mind or care for, other I was very upset about. I think that the relationships that are endgame and they ended up with the person they deserved to end up with.

Now, with the character development. First, with the other Elite, also known as Elise, Kriss, and Celeste. Elise and Kriss I didn't care for or like a whole lot, but I still think they developed well enough. Celeste, I actually loved Celeste in this book! She does explain to the rest of the Elite and to America why she was being such a bitch during the whole Selection, and I am proud of her for turning herself around and admitting her faults.

The king, okay, I wanted to murder him because he was such a tyrant that I couldn't believe it. There are a lot, and I mean A LOT, of moments where he wanted to purposely set America up for failure and get her kicked out of the castle. Look, I know that you don't approve of America sir, but it's your son's decision and you can't accept that fact. I was so happy that he died, but very sad that Queen Amberly died because she was just the sweetest.

America wasn't as frustrating as she was in the Elite (thank god), but there were still those moments where I was just frustrated with her. There were a couple of things that she did that I would be like 'That was so idiotic/stupid!'. Sometimes, I was just like:

 At some of America's actions and decisions in this book. In the Elite, it was frustrating that I wanted to yell at her and push her off a cliff, but this one was just more on the 'annoyed' factor than 'rip-my-hair-our' side.

Maxon, I just found him to be so sweet, but I was a little annoyed and frustrated at him just before the climax of the book, if you have read The One you probably know what I am talking about. Aspen, I found him to be redeemed a little bit, but I am still not a huge Aspen fan.

Another thing that I loved about this book was that we got to see more of the rebels and learn more about them and the goals of both of Northern and Southern rebels. I won't go into too much detail, but I will say that they play a big part of this book if you still have to read this installment.

The writing was definitely approved compared to the previous installments. There are a lot more adjectives in describing America's feelings and emotions. It may not be the best writing I have ever read, or one of the best, but it better than the writing in The Selection and The Elite.

So, I would give The One a 4.5/5 stars because it was a satisfying conclusion to the series. Everything just flows together so nicely and it definitely is worth the read if you have read The Selection and The Elite. It does make me feel sad that I have completed this series, but I can't wait for whatever Kiera Cass will write next.

No comments:

Post a Comment