Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Selection by Kiera Cass (Review)



Series: Selection Series #1
Genre: Dystopian
Book Length: 327 pages
Publication Date: April 24th, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Paperback

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Synopsis:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The blank spaces contain spoilers that can only be read by highlighting them with your mouse.  
This typically doesn't seem like the type of book I would normally read. I mean, I love romance and all, but if it's the primary focus for a dystopian novel like Matched, I probably wouldn't like it as much. Matched was a prime example and I liked Matched to an extent, but it was focused on the romance too much.

But for The Selection, it's makes sense since you have thirty-five girls in the competition to be the prince's bride for the kingdom.

But the thing I loved about this was that even though the romance was the primary aspect of the whole novel, there are some elements that you could see in the dystopian novel with rebellion, which I have a feeling it will play a bigger part as the series progresses. In the Selection, there are two rebel attacks and it does play a part in the romance because some girls decided they wanted to go home after said attacks and it did cause Maxon's decide to have only six people to be part of the Elite and send everyone else home at the end of the book.
Now the romance. I personally am not too big on romance but I do love it, and it was the primary reason I didn't think I would like this book. But, I loved the romance in this book because it makes sense in this dystopian world. But the romance between the love triangle is very hot, especially near the end because Aspen comes.

The love triangle in all honesty wasn't conflicting. I think it's because through the novel, we only see either Aspen or Maxon with America. Though at the end that's were the true love triangle forms because America is conflicted between the two boys you better choose Maxon in the end or else...

I did love Maxon and America's relationship though! I thought that it was very cute and I actually liked that they started out as friends and by the end of the book they are beginning to develop feelings for each other. With Aspen...I just felt that it was very all over the place and I would call it a bi-polar relationship because sometimes they are close and are in deep love but at other times Aspen would be annoying with her. And at the end when he was at the castle an was getting America's forgiveness I was just like NO, YOU HURT HER AND YOU DON"T DESERVE HER.

Now, the characters. The characters do have depth to them, but they definitely aren't the strongest. I mean I did feel for them and love some and hated some (looking at you Celeste), but some characters didn't have a bunch of different levels to them.

I lastly want to quickly discuss the writing. The writing is definitely flawed. Personally, I liked it, but I did see that it was not consistent and flowed easily. It wasn't like: 'He smiled at me. He walked down the hall.' but it still wasn't the best.

I would give the Selection 4/5 stars. I really loved and enjoyed this book. It wasn't a mind-blowing read, but I really loved this world and the characters and the writing. I would say if you are looking for a fun, quick dystopian read, this is the book for you. But I don't think this series is a must read at this point. Because I think someone who doesn't want romance to be the main aspect or they want a true dystopian read, this would not be their type of book. But I still recommend this if you haven't read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment