Saturday, November 15, 2014

Fracture Me by Tahereh Mafi (Review

17331518Series: Shatter Me #2.5
Genre: Dystopian
Book Length: 62 pages
Publication Date: March 25th, 2014
Publisher: HarperCollins
Format: Ebook
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Synopsis:
 As Omega Point prepares to launch an all-out assault on The Reestablishment soldiers stationed in Sector 45, Adam's focus couldn't be further from the upcoming battle. He's reeling from his breakup with Juliette, scared for his best friend's life, and as concerned as ever for his brother James's safety. And just as Adam begins to wonder if this life is really for him, the alarms sound. It's time for war.

On the battlefield, it seems like the odds are in their favor—but taking down Warner, Adam's newly discovered half brother, won't be that easy. The Reestablishment can't tolerate a rebellion, and they'll do anything to crush the resistance . . . including killing everyone Adam has ever cared about.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Okay, I will be 100% honest with you. This is (so far) my least favorite installment in the Shatter Me series. I know, it's a novella and I should be a little easy on it, however (and I am sure many of you know this) this is one of the few series where you pretty much have to read the novellas in-between before you move onto the next book, so I'm counting it.

Now, I want to first talk about the fact that this takes places from Adam's POV.


I was not a fan of it. Not only because this is pretty much the last part of Unravel Me with a little more added written from Adam's view, but there are a couple of other attributes I want to discuss in length.

First, the profanity levels he had. Now, I have no problem with swears in books or characters who swear, but oh my GOD does Adam swear a lot. I felt like he had at least one of those words (mostly shit) on each page. Like yes, the world that you live in sucks but at least try to cut back on the profanity please thank you okay bye.

Secondly, Juliette.
 He was being over-protective and even though they broke up, he acted as though she was still his. He was whining and complaining how he wanted to protect her and that Castle and Kenji were being too harsh on her and that she isn't suit out for war and I just wanted to push his off the side of a cliff for that. I mean, I guess it's natural to be at least a little over-protective of someone you love, but they broke off and he was acting more insane about this.
Adam, there is a reason as to why Castle and Kenji were pushing her, and why she wanted to be in the battle. To help her grow and to use her abilities to help her and without her getting kidnapped she won't ended up being stronger by the end of the book and I hope you get so much payback in Ignite Me.
Basically, Adam I liked you when I read Shatter Me a year ago, but now I hate you with a burning passion.

But aside from me ranting on and on about Adam, I did enjoy this and I do know a little bit more that happened after/during the last few chapter of Unravel Me. And ermergerd I can't wait to see how this unfolds in Ignite Me, which I plan on reading before the end of the year.

Overall, I really enjoyed this novella, however Adam was downgraded so much in my mind. And as stated in a long rant about, I did not like his perspective. Fracture Me gets a 3.5/5 stars from me.


2 comments:

  1. This novella annoyed me so much!! Never have I ever seen such a huge character change 180 -_-

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! Like, Adam was a nice guy in Shatter Me and then he changed completely in Fracture Me/Unravel Me.

      Delete