Saturday, January 24, 2015

In Time by Alexandra Bracken (Mini-review)

18052136Series: The Darkest Minds #1.5
Genre: Dystopian,  paranormal
Book Length: 89 pages
Publication Date: July 16th, 2013
Publisher: Disney Publishing Worldwide
Format: Ebook
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Synopsis:
Gabe's life has been devastated in the wake of the economic crash. The only option left for someone like him to escape his tragic past is to leave his small town behind and to attempt to become a skiptracer. This already almost impossible task is made all the more difficult by his first score, a young girl who won't speak, but who changes his life in ways he could never imagine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
 
Oh, this novella, as kind of a bridge between the Darkest Minds and its sequel, Never Fade, and it is easily the best novella I've read thus far. I didn't expect to love it this much. It also reminded me exactly why I love Alexandra Bracken and The Darkest Minds.
 
First off, the characters. I didn't expect to like Gabe as much as I did and I thought he developed nicely throughout the course of this story.  He starts out as, in my opinion, and unlikeable character who is just trying to learn how to get money and live a great live, and in the end he, in the beginning, unintentionally helps out this girl, but in the end helps her. I also loved the girl, I won't say that name of her in case you haven't read this yet, but you'll know why I love her if you have.
 
There were some twists and turns in this that surprised me, even for a novella. For spoilery reasons, I won't say them, but if read this you know what they are. I was actually surprised at one point in the novella near the end, where I just had to stop reading for a few moments to let out my feels. And the ending.

 I did not see that coming at all, okay maybe a little, but I was shocked by that.
 
So, I would give In Time by Alexandra Bracken a 4.5/5 stars. It wasn't exactly mind-blowing, but it was a great revisit to the Darkest Minds series and it reminded me why I love it. I hope that soon enough, I will be able to pick up Never Fade, the second book in the trilogy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment