Friday, April 10, 2015

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven (Review)

18460392
Series: Standalone
Genre: Contemporary
Book Length: 338 pages
Publication Date: January 6th, 2015
Publisher: Knopf
Format: Hardcover
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Synopsis:
Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

This is an intense, gripping novel perfect for fans of Jay Asher, Rainbow Rowell, John Green, Gayle Forman, and Jenny Downham from a talented new voice in YA, Jennifer Niven.

 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 


This book. Oh this book.










This book, was just so good. I know that, just by reading the synopsis it seems like a TFIOS rip-off, but instead of cancer it's focused on suicide. And, in all honesty, it basically is; but I felt like this was sadder and more empowering than TFIOS. Not saying I don't like TFIOS, which I'm not, but it's just with All The Bright Places it hits you harder than TFIOS in the end. Anyway, enough with my rambling, here is my review:

First off, the characters. I just loved the characters so much. Our two main characters, Finch and Violet, you pretty much knew them right from the first two chapters of the story. They also are unique characters, especially Finch who I've never read or seen a character like him before with his different personas and with this aura that makes him who he is. The other characters, like the parents for example, were never not present or were ignore, they felt just as important as the main characters, which I really appreciate in YA novels because we don't really get that since the parents are either dead, missing, or just non-existant.

Next, the relationship that Violet and Finch grow throughout this book.

  









^ That basically describes my feels towards their relationship. I just loved them together and they started out nice and slow, and it eventually lead to something more; and you could see how much they do love and care for each other. They did have some rocky moments in this, and I felt like it just added to their relationship being more realistic.

Now, I want  talk about the ending and writing really quick here.

Even though the ending is predictable, it still slapped me in the face when it happened. I grew so attached and loved these characters as the story progressed, that when the ending came, it just ripped my heart out and made me cry (which like never happens in books). The writing was very simple and easy-to-read yet great, and there was a clear distinction between the two voices we heard. They explored their state and it makes me want to travel the world.

So, in the end I would give All The Bright Places a 5/5 stars. The characters and relationships and how the story progressed were all just simply fantastic. The writing was also simple with no mix-up between the two POVs we read from. I will definitely be picking up any other YA book this Jennifer Niven writes.


No comments:

Post a Comment