Friday, August 8, 2014

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout (review)



  Series: Lux #2
Genre: Science Fiction
Book Length: 366 pages
Publication Date: August 14th, 2012
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Format: paperback


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Synopsis:
 Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 he blank spaces contain spoilers that can only be read by highlighting them with your mouse.    
It feels like marathoning the last half of the Mortal Instruments series again, this feels like it's the beginning of the end of the Luxen series for me. I am excited, yet sad because it is time for this wonderful series to end. So, to this book alone, I loved this book.

However, I had more problems with this than the original.

My main problem was Blake, and basically any problem I had was at least somewhat connected to him. First off, the thing that annoyed me the most was that every time Daemon and Katy were talking to or about Blake, I felt like (and know) Daemon was purposely chosing to get Blake's name wrong to annoy him. Okay, the first few times was amusing for me but after some point it just felt like an annoying running gag in an episode of your favorite prime-time sitcom.

-And I now present you with a long rant about Blake-

Another thing about Blake was that the second he threw the knife at Katy, I hated every single thing he did. But the thing that I mostly hated about what he did was how he was consciously putting Katy in danger where she could literally die so that she can tap into her power. Then he was always like 'I'd never let you die', or 'It's only so you can tap into your power and we can see what your limits are', I wanted to be like Daemon and murder him. I seriously hope he dies in a future book.

Another thing was that this was basically thanks to Blake was how Katy would stay away from her friends, especially sweet Dee, just so she could focus on training. And when Dee was going to take Katy to the New Years party and she had to deny her and said she didn't want to be her friend anymore, Blake was just like 'She'll get over it.' I was like: ARE YOU KIDDING ME BITCH, YOU HAVE A CHOICE YOU CAN MAKE AND YOU WOULD TAKE KATY'S LIFE AWAY AND LET HER BE UNDER THE FULL WATCH OF THE DOD INSTEAD OF HER HAVING A NORMAL LIFE?!

And like I said above, he always had a choice to make, and why didn't he take matters into his own hands and to something about it instead of being so weak?! Ugh, I'm so sorry but I hate Blake so much that I needed to rant about that.

I can't tell you how many times I threw my book on the ground because of how much Blake annoyed me (I seriously hope you die Blake).

But aside from Blake, I still really enjoyed this book.

I don't remember the writing much from the first book, but I loved it so much in this installment. It was addictive and yet it was just so good! This book made me trust Jennifer's writing and I don't think she will ever write a book that is poorly written (and she also publishes like 4 books a year so score!).

The thing about the mutated aspect was interesting and I loved seeing the process of Katy growing and training and her becoming fully mutated. I also loved how we got to see why the DOD watches the aliens closely and how this all feels like a big set-up with Katy and Daemon and everyone who is close to the Blacks being watched.

Daemon and Katy's relationship. That seriously escalated throughout the course of the novel, but I loved it since it was sudden or insta-lovey. I don't feel like I need to have the spoiler thing for this since it is obvious since book one, but by the end of the book it feels like Daemon and Katy are already in an actual relationship and I can't wait to see how this will turn out in the next books.

So, overall I would give Onyx a 4.75/5, but I will give it a 5/5 stars. It was a fantastic sequel that definitely makes you want to instantly pick up Opal, the third book, once you finish with the last page. I did have a huge problem with the character of Blake that was introduced, but I am still excited to see how book three will go down.

No comments:

Post a Comment